Pages

Monday, August 23, 2010

Coconut Oil as Everyday Styler?

I visited coconut oil when I first went natural. The thing about me is that (with any product) I tend to get very heavy handed. With that being said, the first time I tried coconut oil my hair came out an oily hard mess thanks to my overuse of it. (Seriously I used it in about everything hair related!) I might also add that I used refined oil that I got from Earth Fare which has no where near the nutrients as virgin coconut oil.

But, the point of this point is that I recently (within the last two months) revisited coconut oil. I have gotten much better results out of this after reading up on it's benefits and how others tend to use it. I happen to believe, and I am sure many others are with me on this, that coconut oil penetrates the hair shaft IF YOU USE IT IN SMALL AMOUNTS! With this information, I have found that I can use it as a styler/moisturizer, but not too often or I will get oily hair (which is what I don't want). Natural Haven is a blog that has tons of scientific information on hair and products. I use this method when I am handling coconut oil and it has worked out great for me so far. I found that 1 fingers isn't really enough for my entire head, so I do it by section but cut the amount of oil in half. :)

I plan to do this every other day, switching between my leave in/moisturizer (Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine Leave In) and the coconut oil. I have been doing this for the past week and my hair has never felt any softer and healthier.

How do you guys use coconut oil?

No comments:

Post a Comment