Pages

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Visting Olive Oil and How I use Thicker Oils

I may be adding another oil to my regimen here soon. OLIVE Oil!

I know, I know. You're thinking, WHAT YOU ARE JUST now TRYING OLIVE OIL? Well..yeah. My beloved sweet almond oil is very expensive at Bi-lo (which is the only place I can find it close to my school) so I figured I would try Olive oil just to see what the rave is all about. I went to Wal-Mart (just to see if they carried sweet almond oil -- obviously they do not) and was checking out the bottles of olive oil which all happened to be larger than I needed. But, lucky me, they had a small bottle of Cold Pressed EVOO for about $2 and some change.

Olive oil can be used for a number of things such as cuticle treatment (soak fingertips in olive oil for a few minutes) or skin softener/cleanser (a few friends actually use olive oil to clean their faces. And their are a number of health benefits that come along with EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil). I plan to research it some more and let you guys know all the goodies! ^_^

Now the reason I don't need a whole huge bottle of oil is that I just use thicker oils (sweet almond and olive oil) for detangling and deep conditioning purposes. I have found that using oil instead of conditioner for detangling has saved me a ton of money because oil already has that slippery quality about it and you DO NOT need to use a lot because a little goes a very long way.

For detangling (on wash day):
-Section and secure hair into four parts.
-Spray section with water until damp (not soaking wet)
-Add a tiny amount of oil to hands. Spread the oil from root to tip through my hair (if you were to cup your hand, the oil should form a VERY small pool in the bottom of your hand).

(I use this empty spray bottle to add oil to my hands because as many people know, pouring oil into one's hands can be messy. I never fill it up all the way, maybe 1/3 of the bottle is filled)
-Finger comb the ends of my hair (since that is mainly where the knots/tangles are in my hair)
-Take Modified Goody 'Denman' and CAREFULLY detangle from tip to root. (the link shows how to modify your denman and the purpose of the modification)

With all honesty, adding the oil, finger combing, and using the modified denman have made a world of difference when it comes to detangling my hair. I don't spend a ton of money on conditioner every two weeks because a bottle of /sweet almond/olive oil lasts me a good 4 months (maybe even longer!).

To deep condition I just add a tablespoon of oil to my favorite deep conditioner and sit under the dryer for 15-30 mins. In the future, I am going to try to use these oils as a pre-poo and deep conditioner alone.

I will post how the olive oil works for me soon (wash day is tomorrow!)Hope all is well!
J.

No comments:

Post a Comment